Neiafu, Vava U, Tonga. Excursion: Nuku Island & Swallows Cave.

Looking at the ship from the roof of the tender.  Paul looks on as passenger
head down the steps.
When the Maasdam anchored off Neiafu on the Island of Vava U, Tonga, it was hot and balmy but overcast.  After breakfast I joined my tour group for a 15 to 20 minute tender ride to the port. 

Part of Nuku island's coral shoreline.  We swam from a lovely sandy beach.
There was a small market in the port and a brass band was playing, consisting of youngsters from the nearby school.  Our tour got off to a bad start.  A chap with our tour sign disappeared so Janos (from Shore Excursions) and I had to look for him.  It also seemed the tour operators shore-side wanted to send out a smaller tour group first (the same tour as my bigger group was doing)  but they had not yet left the ship.  Janos firmly told them that my (bigger) group must go first because we were ready and waiting.

My new 'friend'.
We set off on foot to a small harbour, not far from the tender pier, and climbed aboard an open longboat.  Lolie, pilot, and Sawu, co-pilot, made us feel 'at home' and we were soon speeding across the bay to Nuku Island, a small coral island that is part of a the surrounding atoll.  There was a nice sandy beach from where we could swim or snorkel.  I took a bit of a walk around the sandy coral shore, sending baby crabs into a panic if I stepped too close to them.  They weren't very visible to the naked eye, blending in well with the sand.  When the sandy area of the island ended and I could go no further I headed back to the beach to do some snorkelling.  There were different varieties of fish of an assortment of colours, beautiful purple/blue starfish and sea cucumbers.  At times I found myself swimming beside or in amongst a shoal of tiny silvery fish, their tails moving as fast as their tails could go!  It was a privilege to be amongst them.  After the swim I joined the tour group for a packed lunch of sandwiches and fruit.

Swimmers in Swallows Cave.
Before we left the island I spotted a hermit crab making its way to the water’s edge.  It's shell seemed to be burdensome.  From a distance it looked like the hermit crab was wearing an oversized nappy, but of course it was its shell.  My curiosity caused my new "friend" to disappear into his shell now and then but he soon seemed to realise that I meant no harm - just looking - and continued on his journey.

Back on the boat we made our way back to the harbour with a stop at Swallows Cave.  We weren’t given the opportunity to go inside and swim (another tour did whilst their boat stayed outside the cave).  Our pilot did, however, manage to get the boat inside the cave and we stayed there for a bit.  We saw swiflings (as Lolie and Sawu called them) and bats.  Unfortunately there was a lot of graffiti on the walls of the cave which spoilt it a bit.  Looking down, the water was a beautiful clear blue  colour.  I very nearly asked if I could hop over the boat's side for a swim and now wish I had - the blue water and cave had a magical feeling.

The band played all day at the port.
We eventually emerged from the cave and made our way to the small harbour where children were sliding down a wet, slippery boat ramp, having a great time; and swimming.  An adult joined in too, adding to the fun.  Yes - never grow old!  Feel young, stay young at heart.

The Maasdam heading out towards the open ocean, weaving
between the islands to exit of the atoll.
I made my way back to the small port and wandered around the market stalls.  The band was still playing, and now and then someone would sing a song.  The guests loved the music, some tapping in time to the music or giving an impromptu wiggle/small dance.  It was very hot so I made my way towards the tender pier.  Er ...  the queue for the tenders snaked back to the port gate so I had quite a bit of a wait.  Despite the heat, I coped - the cheerful music was a tonic.  As I got closer to the pier there was a guest in tears and some guests in front of me asked her what was wrong.  Apparently she missed her tour.  She thought her group was meeting at the ship's gangway when in fact it was on the pier.  She was really upset.  The couple persuaded her to see if the shore excursions lady (who was near the pier) could put her on another, different, tour.  As it turned out the last later tour was cancelled due to rain.  So the sobbing woman came back to the ship with us, her new companions trying to comfort her.  I guess the poor woman was just having a very bad day emotionally.

Our route from Vava U to Niue.
It was good to see Paul again - but all of a few minutes.  I ended up having a nap on the sofa for a few hours.  The heat had left me feeling drained.  We were going to see a show this evening but I think we will give it a miss - we are very tired.

We are now on our way to Alofi, Niue, another tender port.




PHOTOGRAPHS

View from inside/outside the port & small harbour





Heading out

Setting off, Lolie piloting the boat.

Sawu, our young co-pilot
Passing in front of the Maasdam - pity the boat couldn't have
fetched us directly from the ship....




Nuku island












Something or someone has a home down there ...  




 


Swallows Cave

The blue boat is waiting for swimmers to come back from inside the cave.











The water inside the cave was so blue.




 Views from the Maasdam

















 















 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ushuaia, Argentina.

While in port today another ship was berthed alongside the MS Prinsendam .  She is almost the 'sister' ship of the Prinsendam becaus...