Quebec City, Canada. Excursion: Ste-Anne Canyon & Winery

Ste-Anne Caynon

Yesterday was a nice smooth sailing day and the sun came out too.  I spent quite a bit of time trying to catch up on my blog and uploading photographs.  I thought it would never end.

The clocks went back an hour last night = 1 extra hour’s kip!  J

We awoke to a rainy and overcast day.  Fortunately the tour I was assigned to was around midday and by then the rain had cleared.

The First Officer got married today.  I was dressed for outdoors but Paul came into the cabin and explained about being invited to the wedding.  I was a bit at ‘sixes and sevens’ about going because I had a tour close to that time.  Needless to say I got changed and joined Paul for the ceremony but on the proviso that I pre-made my excuses to leave, if necessary, during the ceremony. 

The wedding was held in the Crow’s Nest and an area was cordoned off from ship’s guests who could observe but from a distance.  There was a red carpet with flower pots of orchids on either side, turning the carpet into a small isle.  The officers lined up on either side, sailors dressed in their sailor suits lined up near the door to greet the bride, and the groom waited nervously near the podium.  The bride arrived more or less on time (11am); the Captain ‘giving’ her away because she had no living family to be at her side.  The bride wore a nice ‘mermaid-style’ dress and a hairdresser from the Spa had done her hair.  The wedding official was from Quebec mainland and conducted the brief but simple ceremony.  Both bride and groom shed a tear or two and one of the officers quickly found some tissues for them.  Some photographs were taken and at this point in time I had to leave to dress back into outdoor clothes for the tour.  Apparently after I left the Captain made speech and the cake was cut. 

The midday tour was soon on its way after midday, the bus winding its way through Quebec City and out into the countryside.  In Quebec City there are areas specially designated for graffiti so you won’t find graffiti all over the place.  It is incentive for those who want to paint on walls or surfaces to do so and be proud of what they can do, but at the same time brightening up the side of a building or the supports of bridges, etc.  The surfaces regularly are painted over again, in white, so that graffiti artists can do something different.  Lyn, our guide, gave us a bit of a history of Quebec and other French provinces in Canada.  She herself is a 6th generation French immigrant and told us a bit about her family and their community’s history.  It was very interesting.

We eventually arrived at Ste-Anne’s Canyon and were let loose to walk along a path and over swing bridges.  Fortunately the snowmelt was still coming off the mountains so there was a lot of water and the waterfalls were beautiful.  One can also do a guided rock-climb/cliff traverse or go on the zipline.  As those activities were not part and parcel of the tour, we didn’t go on them.  If I had known about it earlier, I could have probably booked to go on one of the activities during the time we had to explore the canyon.  But it didn’t matter – the footpath and views kept me busy with the camera.  Near the canyon there is a ski-lift, the area being very popular for skiing in winter.

Our next stop was at Domaine L’Ange Gardien, a winery/vineyard.  We were given a nice slide presentation of the growing of the grapes and processing into wine, along with descriptive photographs.  They also explained about ‘ice wine’ and ‘ice cider’.   The process is the same for both, where grapes/apples are allowed to freeze and are then pressed.  Not only are the wines sweet but they are also quite expensive compared to the other wines the vineyard produces.  We were given a sample of rosé, semi-sweet white and ice cider to taste during the slide presentation.  Not being a wine drinker, I did taste the wines we were given.  They weren’t too bad.  But…. I did enjoy the ice cider. Needless to say I bought a few bottles of wine (a variety) and Paul’s eyeballs just about popped out of his head when I brought them back to the ship.  Well, they aren’t all for me – I brought back a nice bottle of rosé too, in case he doesn’t like the ice wine/cider or fortified white wine.  I’m sure he will help me get through the sweet ones too though ;-) but when he is off duty!

The traffic back to Quebec city flowed smoothly so the tour bus would have been a bit early to get back to the ship.  Needless to say we had a very brief sight-seeing tour of the city on the way back to the ship, still making it back to the port in time.  I missed out on most of the journey on the way back, taking notes and filling out a form, but hopefully I’ll get to see a bit more of Quebec in 2 weeks’ time when the ship comes back again.

Paul was busy when I got back to the ship so I briefly stuck my head around the door, blew him a kiss, and headed downstairs to help with excursions brochure folding.  The folding went quickly – 3 members for the cast came to help as well as me and a lady from Shore Excursions.  Many hands certainly make light work!


After dinner Paul and I met up with Judy and Fred, friends from Canada who have been with the ship since San Diego and are getting off tomorrow.  They were on the dance floor when we arrived but kindly spent some of their time with us.  We will miss them as will the ship’s staff; a cheerful couple who can lighten anyone’s day with their laughter, stories and friendliness.  I don’t have to get up early tomorrow but I will set the alarm clock so that I can meet up with them at breakfast, before they disembark.  Paul will come with me if he has time.

Please see my photographs from Facebook using this link: Tour photographs


Our route, now sailing to Montreal.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ushuaia, Argentina.

While in port today another ship was berthed alongside the MS Prinsendam .  She is almost the 'sister' ship of the Prinsendam becaus...