Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. Excursion: The Best of Prince Edward Island




After a miserable overcast day yesterday we were blessed with some sunshine again.  Once docked guests were soon hot-footing it off the ship to get out and about, no doubt with a bit more of a spring in their step because of the sun.

The excursion group I was assigned to today was soon on its way out of pretty Charlottetown and into the countryside.  Our first stop was the Prince Edward Island Preserve Company.  The current owners purchased the former 1913 Creamery on the banks of the Clyde River and renovated and transformed the building into what it is today, making low sugar preserves, also selling speciality food, teas and spices.  Inside the building we were able to see preserves being made behind a glass wall as well as tasting the preserves.  Some guests made a few purchases.  Adjoining the property they started the Gardens of Hope, a respite cottage for those dealing with life-threatening illnesses and who stay as guests at no cost to them or their families. 

Continuing on with our journey northwards we stopped briefly at North Rustco Harbour to take photographs and to also see a lobster pot and how lobsters are caught.  En-route to our next stop at Cavendish Beach we saw bald eagles; we passed the house where Lucy Montgomery (the author of Anne of Green Gables) was born and the graveyard in which she is buried.  Cavendish beach was a lovely white sandy beach dotted with red stones.  The stones are cleared off the beach during the summer.  In the distance one could see red sandstone cliffs.  The red colour is due to the high iron ore content in the soil.  A boardwalk has been built over the sand dunes for visitors to access the beach without damaging the fragile dune environment.   I was left in awe of the beauty of the area, not to mention the red cliffs.

Our next stop was very brief - a stop for photographs at a viewpoint overlooking French River, a picturesque village in a small bay.

Finally we arrived at Anne of Green Gables Museum.  The museum was the former home of Lucy Montgomery’s uncle and aunt (John and Annie Campbell), a place that was very dear to Lucy and it inspired her to write many novels.  She was so fond of the place that she got married there.  The homestead remains within the Campbell family to this day.  The same organ and furnishings that were used at the time of Lucy’s wedding are still used today when young couples from around the world come to the Campbell home to be married.  I enjoyed the visit to the museum.  The whole area made my heart soar.  There is just something about it.  Back down to earth now … The tour group had a picnic style lunch in another building near the museum and we could eat inside and outside.  I saw a lovely wooden double swing seat near a well so I sat and had my lunch there, in the lovely sunshine.  A smoky tortoiseshell cat came to join me, purring and throwing herself down at my feet to relax after a good ear and chin scratch.  Unfortunately at that point I became very emotional and, although I had finished my lunch and wanted to explore the gardens and surrounding area of the museum, I opted to stay on the swing seat with the cat so that I could pull myself together.  Maybe one day I will see the museum again and visit its gardens in a slightly better frame of mind.

The next part of the tour took us southwards of the island, through stunning countryside and pretty villages, to Borden-Carlton where we made a stop at ‘Shop & Play’.  The gift shop sells all sorts of things including home-made fudge (I had to turn my eyeballs away!).  Inside the shop people of all ages can dress up in ‘Anne of Green Gables’ costume, complete with wig and dress, and have a photograph taken.  I didn’t dress up but I believe guests from the second bus of the same tour had great fun when they passed through earlier on.  Very close by is the Confederation Bridge, which we visited for a few minutes.   The bridge links Prince Edward Island to the mainland at Brunswick, is about 12.9km (8 miles) long and is the longest bridge in the world crossing ice-covered water.  It took almost 5 years to complete.  The bridge is a cantilever bridge (best get out a dictionary as I’m not going to repeat how the guide explained it) and rests on a whopping 62 pillars which are specially designed to not get damaged by ice.  Once built, the bridge made the crossing to / from the mainland easier than going by ferry – which was heavy going or impossible when the river iced over. 

After being on the road for almost 7 hours it was time to get back to ship.  Some guests were tired and fell asleep on the way back but were woken up by the soothing voice of our guide reminding us to take out our ship key cards and identification.

All in all it was an enjoyable day.  I had hoped to stay up for the Indonesian crew show at 11pm but I’ve got to get to bed – I can hardly keep my eyes open.  Yippee – the clocks go back an hour = an extra hour’s zzzzz!!!  

You can see pictures in my facebook album via this link:  Excursion pictures: Best of P.E.I.

Our route to heading to Quebec, our next port.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ushuaia, Argentina.

While in port today another ship was berthed alongside the MS Prinsendam .  She is almost the 'sister' ship of the Prinsendam becaus...