Amsterdam, Netherlands: Life at Sea Begins.

MS Prinsendam
We are back from our holidays at last and I know that I need to catch up on my blogs - I am waaay behind....  At the moment I'm going to concentrate on what is currently going on.  At some stage I will catch up with the holiday.

It's been a hectic 3 days, unpacking and getting things done.  Apart from sorting out the caravan and putting it in storage, we have cleaned Betty's (Paul's mum) fish tank.  The fish are happy now too with plenty of fleas to soothe their shattered nerves.
Our cabin

Paul's leave is at an end and it's time to get back to work.  During our holiday Paul learnt that he had been assigned to the Prinsendam rather than going back to the Maasdam. 

We had a fairly late night last night, re-packing clothes for the next few weeks of our lives at sea and were up early.  Fortunately we didn't have to fly out to meet up with the Prinsendam.  She was in Amsterdam.  We drove Betty's car to Paul's sister in Zoetemeer where we picked up her son (Paul's nephew, Dani) and carried on to Amsterdam's cruise ship terminal.  The car needed a good run to get its battery charged.  Dani then drove the car back to Betty's place where his mum would meet up with him a bit later.

At security Paul discovered that I was not on any list to board the ship and he was adamant that he would not go to sea without me.  He ended up going to the ship to try and sort things out and I had to wait in the terminal.  Eventually security called and said I could go through.  Not a problem.  Only I took a wrong turn and instead of heading onto the ship - I headed into the huge terminal which was the disembarking guest terminal.  I wasn't allowed back up via the exit point so I had to walk all the way back to security in the embarkation terminal and have my luggage checked again before trying to find the gangway.  By this time Paul was getting worried and called me to find out where I was.  I explained what had happened.  Anyway, before I got lost again one of the ship's security staff found me and took me to the ship's gangway.  Paul was quite relieved.  

After going through what seemed like a maze of passages, we arrived at our cabin where Paul had to leave me in order to start work - he had to have a hand-over with his counterpart.  

So, I've been unpacking and finding my way around the cabin.  It is quite a different layout compared to the cabin on the Maasdam.  This time the cabin (although still on deck 10) is directly below the Bridge.  And has a window looking out onto a forward facing balcony.  Fortunately the balcony is only accessible to crew so we won't have guests trying to peer in through the window!  I had been looking forward to having a bath but unfortunately the bath has been replaced with a shower since Paul was last on the Prinsendam.

After lifeboat drill the Prinsendam set sail, heading towards Vlissingen, 

Paul is happy to be back with the Prinsendam as it will be the last time she will be sailing with her over the coming weeks and months.  The Prinsendam has been sold and will be going to new owners (Phoenix Reisen, a German Company) in July 2019.  She is one of the smallest in Holland America Line's fleet and will be sadly missed.  Guests and staff are very fond of her.  

By way of a bit of history, the Prinsendam:  She was launched by the Royal Viking Line in 1988 with the name of "Royal Viking Sun".  Between 1994 and 1998 she was operated by the Cunard Line before being transferred to Seabourn Cruise Line in 1999 and re-named "Seabourn Sun".  In 2002 the ship was transferred to  Holland America Line and re-named the "Prinsendam".

The Prinsendam's itinerary for this cruise is as follows:

Date / Time                 Port
16 Sep                         Departing Amsterdam, Holland   

17 Sep 08:00 - 15:00     Vlissingen, Holland   

17 Sep 20:00 - 17 Sep Antwerp, Belgium   

19 Sep 18:00 - 19 Sep Rouen, France   

22 Sep 08:00 - 18:00    La Rochelle, France   

23 Sep 08:00 - 23 Sep   Bordeaux, France   

26 Sep 08:00 - 18:00     Lisbon, Portugal   

27 Sep 13:00 - 18:00     Gibraltar, UK   

28 Sep 08:00 - 17:00     Cartagena, Spain   

30 Sep                         Arriving in Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Ushuaia, Argentina.

While in port today another ship was berthed alongside the MS Prinsendam .  She is almost the 'sister' ship of the Prinsendam becaus...