Tauranga, New Zealand. Paul's holiday starts!

Paul had last minute things to do on the ship so I asked Bowen if he had a spare moment to give one of my fingers some acupuncture.  I had hurt a middle finger joint during a jet boat ride whilst in Akaroa, wrenching it when the boat went into a spin.  The joint has remained very swollen and sore ever since so I hope that a bit of acupuncture may help with the pain.  Bowen didn't have any clients at the time and kindly fitted me in.  My joint looked as if it had a halo of needles around it but the session wasn't painful.

With Paul's handover done, we were able disembark at last.  There were still a few hours before the ship's departure to Napier so we agreed to meet up with Christina (from the ship's shops) a bit later on. 

Bye bye MS Maasdam
The Port Agent gave us a lift to our lodgings and once we had settled in we met up with Christina and had a wander around town and the market.   Christina had to get back to the ship and so we said our goodbyes.  She and I were in tears.  I have enjoyed her company whilst on the ship and at times when I've not gone on a tour.

Before heading back to our lodgings Paul and I were feeling a bit hungry and decided to check out calamari stand at the market.  Fortunately it was still open so we were able to get something to eat.  Nick and Karen (musician and singer, respectively, from the ship) bumped into us and we ended up having our meals on a park picnic bench.  Delicious ice cream followed in the footsteps of the calamari.  Karen and Nick had to head back to the ship so we said our goodbyes.  They will be getting off the ship soon and heading to Bora Bora for a delayed honeymoon - wonderful!

Unfortunately we remembered we hadn't packed any towels in our luggage - a must if we are going to go swimming anywhere during the next 10 days.  Fortunately there was a shop, which sold all sorts of bits and bobs, that was still open so we picked up 2 towels.

Time for an early night.  I'm tired and a rather sunburnt - wandering around the market without sunblock or a proper t-shirt on has left me feeling sore.  We have some 'after sun' aloe vera gel so Paul put a thick layer of it on my back.

We have ordered a taxi for tomorrow morning to take us to Tauranga airport where we will pick up a hired car.  The weather forecast for tomorrow is not spectacular but hopefully it will be warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ushuaia, Argentina.

While in port today another ship was berthed alongside the MS Prinsendam .  She is almost the 'sister' ship of the Prinsendam becaus...