Anchored off Port Elizabeth, Bequia, St. Vincent & The Grenadines.

It was a beautiful day when the Prinsendam anchored off Port Elizabeth. Paul had done a bit of research a few days earlier and discovered that there are scuba diving sites on the island.  Needless to say, he though it might be well worth going.  We asked other staff if they would like to dive with us, and make up a boat trip.  Also we would get a discount for a group dive/multiple dives.

In the end Paul, I, Judith from reception and one of the singers made up a group for a morning dive. Although I didn't have my diving licence card with me, I was able to show my dive log book as proof as to how many dives I had done and when the last one was.  The company (Dive Bequia) was very patient with us - well aware that we had to get a tender across to the pier and then meet up at their dive office.

We had a lovely morning, diving off 'The Almond Tree', seeing crayfish, shrimps, fire coral and more. The water was warm enough to wear a shorty wet-suit.

Paul had to go back on duty after the first dive, as did Judith, so they were dropped off at the pier and we were joined by Judy from the Shore Excursions department and Charles - the ship's doctor.  We had another nice dive, this time at 'Devil's Table'.  Paul is usually my dive 'buddy' but this time I teamed up with Judy who has her Dive Master's Certificate.  I was nervous diving without Paul even though Judy is a very experienced diver, so it took me a while to relax.  We saw puffer fish, frog fish, needle fish and much more.  We came across the wreck of an old submarine and had a brief swim around it before surfacing.

After lunch, Judy and I went for one last dive with the dive company, off Brown's Bay.  It was a nice easy, relaxed dive with a group of 6 other divers.  Judy saw a family of 8 lobsters hiding in between the coral and managed to signal me to come and see them.  Well, it seemed like a 'family'.  There were lobsters of varying sizes!  It seems silly, but I think I may not eat another lobster again (even though they can taste delicious if cooked and dressed well).  I pity that guy sitting on my plate...☹️

All in all we had a great day even if we didn't get to see much of the island itself.

PHOTOGRAPHS








 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ushuaia, Argentina.

While in port today another ship was berthed alongside the MS Prinsendam .  She is almost the 'sister' ship of the Prinsendam becaus...